When you buy fish, you want to buy it with confidence. Fresh whole fish should be clear, bright eyed, bright red gill, moist skin, shiny, the tail should be stiff, and the flesh feel firm, it should have a sea-fresh smell! When buying from ‘fresh From The Boat’ you can buy with confidence!
Our fishermen are fully trained in ‘care of catch’, ensuring that your fish is looked after the moment in leaves the sea. It is handled with great care, prepared as required and then placed on ice, ensuring no spoilage or temperature variation.
Majority of our fish is caught by our own boats (Carly D & Tia Maria) or other local inshore sustainable day boats.
The food mileage is kept to a minimum, normally averaging 15 food miles. When you get our fish, it is only a matter of hours from shore to door and you will notice by the fishes bright eyes, gills and colouring.
We catch a wide variety of fish in the Solent including Bass, Grey Mullet, John Dory, Dover Sole, Lemon Sole, Cod, Bream, Pollack, Gurnard, Plaice, Huss, Dabs, Flounder, Lobster, Crabs, Scallops and more.
We even fish for Emsworth Oysters on the 1st November.
We don’t always have fish everyday or 100’s of species, because we don’t carry stock as such, your fish is caught fresh, prepared on the boat and delivered to your door, we do however guarantee that it is super fresh!
We also care about our environment and where possible your fish will be supplied to you in recyclable, biodegradable or reusable packaging.
When buying fish from us our vision is that all fish and seafood sold by us is from sustainable sources.
When you see our ‘Blue Boat’ logo you can be sure it follows our code of conduct.
Our Code of Conduct
- Support responsible and sustainable fish and seafood fishing methods.
- Support Fully traceable fishing from catch to consumer
- To ensure that all of our fish is responsibly caught to protect fish stocks for the future generations.
- Support Fishermen with tools they need to ensure the welfare of the catch.
- Ensure all of our fishermen work under the fishing selectivity guidance, whereby all fish caught are of the legal size and weight.
- Support and engage with the development of fishing gear and practices to limit the catch of juvenile fish and non-target species.
- Support Costal and fishing communities, local economies and welfare.
- Promote good practice with the search and removal of abandoned, lost and discarded fishing gear (Ghost Fishing) and their marine debris that pose a threat to marine and wildlife in UK waters.
Seasons of Fish
Blue Blocks – When we should see this species.